"All the news that's fit to link"

"All the news that's fit to link"
"All the news that's fit to link"

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Portrait of a great man

Most of you probably don't know Jimmy Moore.

Heck, I can't say I know the man well.

Until last year, when we met at the ACC Tournament in Greensboro, I'd only known him as a familiar face at Clemson sporting events.

Jimmy's had it rough the last couple of years. As a police officer for the university, he suffered a shattered leg when he was chasing down a suspect and the guy administered a savage karate kick.

Last night, someone told me Jimmy has been fighting a battle with brain cancer for a while. Apparently it's a losing battle, because doctors have told him he won't be around much longer.

I think back to my most recent conversation with the man and I'm almost ashamed.

Jimmy is a regular presence at Dabo Swinney's Tuesday press conferences during the season. Most of those days, I'll say a quick hello and tell him it's good to see his face.

The last time we spoke was late in the season, and I asked him how he was doing.

His reply: "Not very good, Larry, but I'm here."

I told him I was sorry, then quickly moved on to the next thing on my mind. Maybe I had to get to my computer to start writing the weekly "Tuesday thoughts and observations" piece. Maybe there was an interview I had to get to. Maybe I was worried about getting a sandwich before everyone else scarfed them all up.

Can't remember exactly what it was that made me cut the conversation off, but in hindsight it was undoubtedly something utterly insignificant given what this man is going through. I kick myself for not slowing down, listening to what Jimmy was telling me, and offering heartfelt words of support instead of a token word or two on my way to talk or write about ... a game.

In the face of a death sentence, Jimmy is giving everything that's left of him to help children in need. He is involved in the Pickens County Volunteer Guardian ad Litem Program, which stands up for abused and neglected children.

Yesterday, Moore spent most of his day at the Clemson Chick-fil-A helping raise funds for the ad Litem Program. A who's who of Clemson athletics, including C.J. Spiller, Danny Ford, Dabo Swinney, Tommy Bowden and Jacoby Ford, gave their time to autograph footballs and other merchandise that was sold to benefit the program.

At last count last night, they'd raised $35,000. The money will go to children in the DSS system for whom there isn't funding for things like field trips, yearbooks, class rings, little league baseball, football, dance lessons, and on down the line.

Jimmy's experience in this program has filled him with stories that are equal parts heartwarming and heartbreaking.

He tells of a young girl who wants to take karate lessons "so no one can molest me again."

He tells of taking 200 children to get shoes.

Surely these experiences supply him with the strength to smile in the face of his own personal adversity that has to be crippling physically, mentally, every which way.

A couple of years ago, I was over at Chick-fil-A for the annual fundraiser and bought a basketball autographed by Oliver Purnell.

Jimmy didn't know me at the time, but he took time to give me a warm, genuine handshake and offer a meaningful thank-you for my contribution.

Thinking back to that day, it presents a good example of how to slow down and recognize the things that really matter.

LW

No comments:

Post a Comment